Now, please understand, that honey is a favorite food for Malcolm, bordering on a sacred experience. When he's sick, he gets a spoonful of honey, per his pediatrician's orders, to help sooth the coughing. This is why Malcolm enjoys being sick. "I can have honey, Mommy?"
Needless to say, Malcolm was delighted to learn that he could squeeze honey into the squash. I watched him stir it all together while I put the honey jar away, listening to him talk about how he was going to eat it, and could he taste it, and Mommy, please put some on my plate. I thought to myself, "I should get the smartest Mommy of the year award."
Dinner came, and he ate his vitamin, then picked all the sausage out of his dirty rice . . . and my dirty rice . . . and Matt's dirty rice . . . and the leftovers still on the stove. But he didn't touch his squash. Hmmm . . . .
"Malcolm," I asked. "Are you going to eat the squash? Remember, you helped me make it. We poked it with the fork, and you mixed the honey in?"
He looked at me, then the squash. "That's the squash, with the honey in it," I told him again.
"I need you to get it out!"
About ten minutes later, when Matthew and I stopped laughing so hard we turned purple, Malcolm sent us back into gales of laughter by adding in his most serious voice, and looking hopefully towards where we store the spoons, "Mommy, I need honey in a different way."

1 comment:
I need honey in a different way.
Ah, Malcolm, you are lethally adorable.
:-D
(On an unrelated note, my WV is "mensweb" for this comment. Hee!)
Post a Comment