Many of you have kindly ask how the internship in Child Life is going, so I thought I'd share a few thoughts here. It's Friday evening, as I write, and I have just finished Week One. This week was all orientation -- two days of official hospital stuff (policies, infection control, HIPPA training, etc.) and three days of orientation to the Child Life Department, and the internship. The Child Life days were my favorite, as they including presentations from each department, such as: Radiology, ICU, Child Advocacy Center, Emergency Dept, etc. This gave me a look into what Child Life Specialist do in each of these departments. Throughout the next 14 weeks, I'll have the opportunity to spend a day shadowing a CLS in a different department. I get 5 or 6 shadowing days, so I'll have a chance to try out several of the ones that intrigued me this week! Monday will see me start my first 7-week rotation, which will be on the Hematology/Oncology/Bone Marrow Transplant floor. I am very excited about this placement!
So, beyond the factual report, here are my reflections . . . . Orientation was, undoubtedly, the "info overload" week. I have so many handouts, articles, and booklets, I think the pile outweighs Malcolm! It will take me far longer than this weekend to digest it all. But that is to be expected. The other intern (there are two of us) came straight to the internship from a college program in Child Life, so this gives her a broad base of reference and experience that I seem to be missing. Mostly, I've been playing catch-up learning all the terminology and field-specific vocabulary. (And my knowledge of specific child development theories is a little dusty!) The contrast of seeing the other intern pick right up on the terminology and such, while I'm thinking "Wait, what does that mean?" has left me feeling slightly . . . I'm not sure. Not "less confident" . . . maybe a little "unprepared." Not really sure. I think after I've had a week on the floor, I will be completely caught up with this part, so a week from now it probably won't even be an issue.
Overall, I'm wildly excited to be here. This will be an amazing opportunity, and I'm looking forward to getting everything out of it that I can!

2 comments:
You will catch on quickly!
I have gotten the visit pics off the camera and on our computer. I expect to have them all sorted next week and will email you.
It all sounds so interesting. I can't wait to hear an update on week two. I know you will feel caught up by then. Remember you have valuable life experience that you bring to the table. YOu will be able to connect with the families....the vocabulary is just a matter of exposure. The other stuff will come back to you. Have fun starting week two in just a few hours!
Post a Comment