My husband and son picked me up from work and took me to Red Robin for dinner (my favorite burgers ever! Been craving them for weeks now.) Two bites into my salad, and Malcolm starts vomiting. Copiously. For a while.
On the upside, he was sitting next to Matthew -- who, by the way, deserves the cool-headed-most-discreet-daddy-award-of-the-year. I don't think the booth behind them even noticed, which is kind of a miracle. Once the worst of it slowed down, Matthew wrapped his jacket around Malcolm and carried him out. I went and found our server who was just about to bring our food out. I told her what happened, and that we had to leave. In less than two minutes, she provided me with an empty container and stack of napkins for the car ride home, brought the check, processed my credit card (earned a very generous tip), and rallied other staff to box up our dinners (even down to my salad and our lemonades!) They were amazing. And so discreet and professional.
We got Malcolm home, cleaned up, tucked into bed and (hopefully) asleep. Dinner's not too appetizing to me right now, but maybe I'll be hungry later. Sympathy pains for my poor sick kid are ruining my appetite currently.
So much for my birthday celebration.
On the upside, my Mom sent me an email from her and Dad, my brother Darin left me a voice mail I haven't had a chance to listen to yet, and my friend Lea sent me a video of her kids singing "Happy Birthday Mrs. Teresa." (See below) Plus, I'm pretty sure that Matthew feels so sorry for my ruined birthday celebration that I can easily talk him into a should rub and playing with my hair tonight while we watch whatever movie I want.
So, happy birthday to me anyway!

4 comments:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you,
happy birthday to you!
Happy birthday, dearest Teresa,
Happy birthday to you!!
So, so, sooooo sorry about the sick kid and the public barfage. Sadly, I've BTDT, though not in public on my bday - there was one year when every other member of my family was sick with Norwalk but me. (I waited 'til closer to Christmas to catch it myself.)
Can we do a belated birthday lunch at some point? Please? :) xoxo
ps - word nerd alert; my WV is "calve" - an actual word! Craziness!
Happy Birthday! Hope you get to extend the celebration with another dinner out sometime (and less vomiting).
I also hope that you and Matthew don't catch it. ;)
HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY Birthday!
Hope Malcolm is feeling better soon.
Wish I were there to celebrate some more....
Hope your week has improved and that you are getting your kid free weekend this weekend!
I got an email coupon for a free red robin milk shake...maybe that's a sign we need go next weekend?
Not sure if there will be any interesting movies next weekend though. Except for possibly taking the kids to see "cloudy with a chance of meatballs" at some point.
Post a Comment