Thursday, June 4, 2009

Safe & Sound

We have safely arrived in NY, and are tucked into our new apartment.  My mother-in-law kindly took care of Malcolm for several days during the moving process, so we were able to load/unload and manage the long drive up without our sweet toddler's "assistance."  I'm happy to say that we managed to completely unpack prior to picking up Malcolm.  So his room was all set up by the time we brought him back, even down to the teddy-bear decals on the wall.

The apartment is very nice, and has lots of "extras" -- like a pool, kid's splash pool, playground, movie rental, library, party room, etc.  If it weren't for our dogs, I'd consider staying here a lot longer than our sublet (which goes thru November.)  The apartment itself is pretty small, so half our stuff is in storage at my in-laws.  Thank goodness they have a huge basement!

The dogs are dealing with apartment life.  We won't let our boy dog off leash at all.  He marks everything (for the non-dog people out there, that means he pees on the corner of all our furniture, cabinets, shoes, etc. in an effort to mark his territory.)  So he spends his days on a leash attached to my belt loop, or sleeping on the couch, our bed, or in the crate (the three places we can trust him to lay down without peeing on something.)  Hopefully this is a stage, and we can break him of the habit.  Cuz 24-7 dogwatch is already getting old.  He's especially good at sneaking off for 3 seconds to mark something while our back is turned, earning him the nickname "Ninja Penis."

Malcolm is adjusting very well.  He enjoyed his vacation with Grandma & Grandpa.  When I ask him about it, he just tells me he had fun.  Other than that  . . . "what happens at Grandma's stays at Grandma's."  Fair enough!  Though, he did demand cookies for breakfast his first morning back with us!

We've been home only a few days, and already we are pleasantly overwhelmed with all the wonderful social opportunities.  Friends calling, friends stopping by, friends inviting us over, friends inviting us out, friends inviting us to playdates . . . . . I don't even have the words to begin to explain how amazing that is to me.  While I met a few nice folk in Atlanta, I found the last two years to be achingly lonely.  To be home, and welcomed back with such love, is an overwhelming and warming confirmation.

"I think I'm gonna like it here . . . "

5 comments:

Heather said...

First of all, YAY that you are back in the 585!!! :D

Secondly, there is a product they make for cats who mark called "Feliway" that we started using this past year when our crazy cat decided to start peeing on things like our bed when she would get fed up with us (and by "us" I mean "Kiddo")... It is a plug-in thingy like one of those Glade air fresheners but it doesn't smell like anything. To the critter, it smells like the calming pheremone. We've had great success with both the plug-in and the spray, and I just googled and here's the best part.....

They make one for dogs!! :D

Google "Feliway for Dogs" and it will come up. We ordered ours off Amazon at first but have since learned that Petsmart (or maybe Petco? shoot it is one of them) carries the products for the same price as online - they keep them behind the counter though, so you have to ask for them.

We figured it couldn't hurt to try it and for us it has worked - no peeing anywhere and a calmer kitty since we started using it.

Might be worth a try to get off the 24/7 leash-pee duty!

xoxo

Laurie said...

We are thrilled to have you guys back here, and it was fun seeing you at game night!

Anonymous said...

It was great to see you guys!
Glad you are back and hope we can play again soon!

Angela said...

So glad you're settling back in well. Nate & I still have our fingers crossed that you'll find a wonderful house -- although all the extras at the apt DO sound swell. Maybe I'll move in after you move out! Big hugs all around. Can't wait to hear how the new job is going.

Anonymous said...

Do you have a new email address?

I tried to send you a message and it got bounced back.