
My brother-in-law, David, began a tremendous adventure last Wednesday. He will spend the next several months hiking the Appalachian Trail.
It starts here in Georgia, and stretches all the way to Maine. He has until October 15th to reach the northern end, as parts of the trail close around then for early snows.

Hikers carry a pack with everything they'll need for the journey, such as: tent, sleeping bag, water purification system, fishing line, some food (he'll get more along the way), etc. At the trail office, hikers sign in before they begin their journey, and include their pack weight. The other names we saw in the book had pack weights ranging from 48 to 34 pounds. David's pack weighed only 26 pounds, and that with "more food than I really need to carry," according to David. When I saw the other pack weights in the book, I started to worry. But the reaction of the lady who keeps the book led me to believe that David's pack was brilliant -- the others, quite oversized!

It is tradition among many hikers to collect a small pebble at the start of the trail, and carry it with them all along their travels, and place it at the other end. Here is David's rock:

Our thoughts are with you, David!
We hope you will enjoy every moment of this amazing experience!


1 comment:
Hey -- the Appalachian Trail passes right by where I work. You have to tell me when he hits NY--I'll take him some food.
Post a Comment